Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult that Bound My Life by Sarah Edmondson

In the last few years, I had heard a bit about the cult NXIVM in the news; that it was a sex cult, there was sex and human trafficking, but I did not know much more than that. Then I watched an A&E special, Cults and Extreme Beliefs and Sarah Edmondson was on the first episode. After hearing her story, I needed to know more, I needed to know she was okay and that NXIVM was being taken down. So, I took to Google and found a few books, one of which, was Sarah's, Scarred. I bought it and immediately started it.

(Source: Kelsey Darling)
When Sarah Edmondson first learned of NXIVM, she thought it was too good to be true. Little did she know, that thought would be accurate. But in the beginning, she could not deny that it was benefiting her life and the lives of her friends. Yes, it cost a great deal of money, but she was growing successful in every part of her life. But you can ignore the writing on the wall for only so long. When Sarah was recruited into DOS and subjected to a branding and the start of slave training, the writing became very clear. Sarah knew then that she had to get out and take down Keith Raniere if she wanted to make sure what happened to her never happened to someone else.

Trigger Warning: This post and book contain themes of cults, abuse, eating disorders, and other upsetting topics.

What scares me the most about the NXIVM cult is that I could have seen myself falling for it if someone introduced it to me, especially someone I trust. Unlike so many other cults you read about, NXIVM is not religion based. Raniere claimed that NXIVM would improve your life and you as a person. People in NXIVM gave up smoking after years and years of addiction; they got promotions or dream jobs; they became the healthiest, best versions of themselves. What would have saved me would have been the cost. The starting classes were upwards of $2000. But the leader of Keith Raniere knew that when people are desperate for change, they will do whatever they can. That is what Sarah and her then boyfriend did. That is what most of the members did.

Scarred is one of the most terrifying cult books I have read, not just because I acknowledge I could have fallen for it, but because of the atrocities committed by Keith and other members. Like most cults, there is the usual things, like taking the money and possessions of its members under the disguise of classes of improvement and making you a better person by giving up your worldly possessions. There is also the attack of people who speak out against the cult. Raniere would use lawsuits, stalking, and threats to silence people who spoke out against him, while telling people of NXIVM that the person speaking out had gone crazy and to not believe what was said, going so far as to encourage NXIVM members to avoid reading anything about NXIVM in newspapers or online.

The creation of DOS is what really separates NXIVM from other cults though. I am not saying that there are not other cults out there that have done something this disgusting. It is the matter in which Raniere brought DOS about that sets it apart. DOS stands for Dominus Obsequious Sororium, a Latin phase that translates to Master Over Slave. Only specific women were recruited for DOS: thin to the point of anorexia, long hair, beautiful. It was told that it was a sorority, a secret society of women to help make them the most bad ass versions of themselves. Really, they were being primed to sex slaves for Keith Raniere, although they were told that Keith knew nothing of the DOS. Sarah Edmondson's best friend, Lauren Saulzman, recruited Sarah to the group. Lauren and Sarah had become very close in their decade long friendship. Lauren officiated at Sarah's wedding to her husband, was her maid of honor, and was the god parent to her son. When I think of what Lauren put Sarah through, and other women, I cry. Toward the end of the book, she mentions how she has frequently listened "Praying" by Kesha, and how it reminds her of Lauren. All I can think is how I would never put myself in a position of power over my friends, or risk their lives and mental health.



The majority of the book focuses on Sarah's climb through NXIVM, and her interactions with people who would end up going down with Raniere: Allison Mack, the Bronfman sisters, Lauren Saulzman and her mother Nancy. Throughout the book, she tells you how much she really believed in NXIVM, but Raniere always had a negative impression on her and she never fully let him in. That belief is what saved her in the end. I do wish that the book had discussed more of the NXIVM beliefs and practices and how Raniere and his members enforced them. But Sarah made sure to keep her life in Canada separate from the things going on in New York, so I can see how it was not included too much in the book. Sarah's entire story is frightening and moving. In June 2019, Raniere was convicted of racketeering and sex trafficking; others on trial plead guilty earlier in 2019. My hope is that Sarah and everyone else involved can move past these events now and heal, and receive any help they need. I do not believe there is any help for Raniere though; there is no help for a sociopath.

Rating: 9/10
Author: Sarah Edmondson
Genres: Autobiography, Memoir, Non-Fiction, Cult
Dates Read: November 22-24, 2019

Comments