Captive: A Mother's Crusade to Save Her Daughter from the Terrifying Cult NXIVM by Catherine Oxenberg

The third book I had purchased about NXIVM was Captive by Catherine Oxenberg, and it was the one I was least excited about reading. I didn't know much about Catherine, and her daughter, India Oxenberg, was only briefly mentioned in Sarah Edmondson's Scarred. However, once I started, I was hooked and could not put the book down.

(Source: Kelsey Darling)
Catherine Oxenberg has always been very close with her eldest daughter, India, sharing many adventures, set backs, triumphs, and everything in between. When India wanted to share the experience of an ESP (Executive Success Program) class with her mother, Catherine went; when Catherine thought the class was a joke, she thought India would believe the same thing. Instead, India was enamored with ESP, and quickly became more involved with the group. For a little while, Catherine tried to see the appeal her daughter did, but eventually left. As Catherine learned more about ESP, NXIVM, and Keith Raniere, she began to ask her daughter more pressing questions and tried her hardest to keep India away from their influence. Unfortunately, India was in deeper than she ever could have imagined. When Catherine learned that India had been inducted into DOS, she knew that she would do anything in her power to save her daughter and take down Keith Raniere.

CW: This book contains themes of physical, sexual, emotional, and psychological abuse.

What pulled me so far into this book is Catherine's love for her children. It is apparent in every single word written that she loves her children more than life itself and she has proved she will walk through fire for them. Catherine's feeling reminded me of how much my mom loves her kids. I cannot begin to list the amazing and brilliant things my mom has done for my brothers and I, as well as for my nieces. Even writing these words, I tear up thinking about the sacrifices she has made for us. The book also made me think about how much I love my three nieces and how I would do any of the things Catherine did if they were in a similar position. Basically, this book had me crying the entire way through because Catherine Oxenberg is clearly a bad ass mom who reminds me of my bad ass mom and I want to be just like them.

(Source: Page Six)
Aside from the emotional connection I felt to Oxenberg, the book is very well written. It feels like a very well written diary and I was privy to her most precious thoughts (she does include snippets from journals she kept, so to an extent, I am). But more than that, the book perfectly blends fact and emotion. Because of this, the reader not only gets all the information, but they get it in a way that is easy for them to understand, digest, and relate to.

Captive felt like the bridge between Scarred, The Program, and the two documentaries I have watched about the cult. Unlike Sarah Edmondson, she was outside the group; unlike Toni Natalie, she had someone who was presently very close to him. It was the best of both worlds in those regards because it was giving me everything I wanted to know. This is also my first time reading a book by someone trying to save someone from a cult. I have read plenty of books about people after they have left a cult, and I have read plenty of books by people who are interviewing people who had been involved. Reading about how the family is processing everything is a bit different. It was difficult to read that India's dad's (Bill, her biological father, and Casper, Catherine's ex-husband) were not as in tune to what was going on and would take India's side in saying that Catherine was going to far and destroying India's life. They came around once everything was exposed, but I cannot imagine not having that support. Luckily, Catherine had her mother, Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia. She was able to act as a middle person between Catherine and India when India was in the deepest mental confines. Another completely amazing woman to admire.

I really do not have any criticisms about the book except that I did not want it to end and yet I could not read it fast enough. I have already suggested it to three people, one of whom is my mom. Catherine and India Oxenberg are brilliantly strong women. This is hands down the best book I have read this year and I can say with great confidence it has had an impact on my life.

Rating: 10/10
Author: Catherine Oxenberg
Genres: Autobiography, Cult, Memoir, Non-Fiction, True Crime
Date Read: December 5, 2019

Comments