My Becoming Journey: Week Four

I thought I was doing really bad about writing this week, but I actually have five entries, which sort of surprised me. I think part of that was because there is an entry that required me sharing part of my story with someone and them reciprocating, and this was not a week when I was really in a position to do that, so I just kept skipping to the next entry. Luckily, it all worked out. The entries this week really focus on sharing with or contributing to the world and then swing back into family. I also realized this week that I talk a lot about my family in these entries, regardless of if I am supposed to or not, but it's only because they are a huge part of my life.

January 19, 2020

How do you want to contribute to the world? What is one small step you can take this year to further that contribution?

I want to help the animals of the world. Animals are so pure, and yet so many people harm them, and they don't have a voice to stand up for themselves. I want to be that voice. I have always had a big heart for animals, but as I have gotten older, I have learned there is so much more to it. I have switched to ethical companies that do not animal test, I donate to ASPCA and WWF, and I am the biggest advocate of adopt, don't shop. A small step I could take to further help the animals would be volunteering. There are a few shelters around here that I could definitely apply to volunteer at.

Just some of the animals that have been part of my life.
Top left: Lovin' Spoonful & Panda Bear; Top Center: Jersey & Abbey Road; Top Right: Daisy
Bottom Left: Jersey & Ella; Bottom Center: Duke; Bottom Right: Queenie & Lady Bird
(Source: My Photo Collection)


January 24, 2020

Have a little courage this month to share a little more of your story with someone else. Ask them about theirs. What did you learn about yourself? What did you learn about this person?

I worked with a person this week who was born in Texas but moved to Tennessee at age five when his parents separated. He only recently moved back to Texas at the age of 26 to help his father. Growing up, he only saw his dad a few weeks in the summer, and as he got older, it was even less time. He regrets how little time he spent with his dad now, but at the age of 10, the last thing he wanted to do during the summer was miss out on spending time with his friends; although, his dad said he understood and would have felt the same in his shoes. Despite the distance, his father did what he could to make his son feel like he was there with him. Once a week, he would record himself on a cassette, just telling his son what happened during his week, update him on his Texas family, and ask his son questions about his life even though he couldn't respond to them. I told him that when I was a kid, I would listen to cassettes of my grandpa telling stories at bedtime. Most of the cassettes had been made for my brother, but I didn't care. I liked hearing his voice, and occasionally my grandma's voice. We agreed at the time, we did not understand the impact this would have on us, but looking back, it's a big part of our childhoods. Hearing what he said about how little he saw his dad also made me think of how grateful I was to be able to see my parents basically every day. It's something that is taken for granted. But I also understood his want to stay home where his friends were and not have to spend a few weeks in a place and with people who you don't have as deep a connection with.

January 20, 2020

What are the greatest lessons you learned as a child?

1. I learned that your parents aren't guaranteed to live forever. When I was seven, my parents became grandparents for the first time. Even then, I knew that grandparents were supposed to be "old," although they have never acted their age, and "old" people die. I was, and still am, grateful for every milestone of mine they get to be a part of, as well as every boring, mundane day, because it means everything to me that they are here. To this day, I love the time I get to either spend with them or spend talking to them on the phone.
2. "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." It wasn't until I was in college that I learned Theodore Roosevelt said this and not my dad because he said it all the time. But it doesn't matter who said it because it's true. It doesn't matter the situation, personal or professional, people need to know that you care about them as a person - what they are going through, what they are feeling - and that you are receptive to what is being said. You have to really mean it, you can't phone it in.
Paul McCartney's 2009 concert at the American Airlines Center.
(Source: My Photo Collection)
3. The arts are important. My parents took us kids to movies, concerts, plays, art galleries, markets; you name it, we went. And I am so glad. Because of them, I have seen Simon and Garfunkel, Paul McCartney, Three Dog Night, Les Mis, Hairspray, a Monet exhibit, and more. They created an appreciation in me for the arts that I still have.
4. Finish what you started. It didn't matter it it was a season of little league or a book that was "too difficult," you made a promise to someone (even if it was just yourself) that you would see something through, so you do just that, and if you still don't like it in the end, then you can walk away and feel good about it.
5. Always say "good night/good bye/I love you." This sort of ties in with number one. You never know when something might happen, so make sure you always say something good before parting ways, even if it's just bed time.

January 21, 2020

What does family mean to you?

For me, family doesn't end with blood. It could be a person who married into the family, or the family of someone who married into the family. It could be your best friend, or even their family. It could be the people you work with. It is anyone you have forged a bond with and have been through the highs and lows, and the feeling is reciprocated. On the reverse side, blood or marriage does not guarantee family status. If a person is toxic, hurts you or others you love, or is detrimental to your mental health, you are not required to call them family. Family are the people who always have your back, help you fight your battles, tell you the honest truth but in a way that won't destroy you, and the people who you would do all that for too.

A few of the people I consider family.
Top Left: My parents, my brothers, myself and Abbey; Top Center: My brothers and I;
Top Right: My dad, Taylor, my grandpa, and myself. Middle Left; Sarah, Taryn, & I;
Middle: Taylor & I; Middle Right: Alex, Charles, Asher, Gabby, & myself;
Bottom Left: Rachel-Claire and myself; Bottom Center: My nieces & I; Bottom Right: Ashley & I
(Source: Amy's Photo Collection, My Photo Collection)

January 22, 2020

In as much detail as possible, capture one favorite memory you've created with your loved ones.

Me helping Maggie make
the cinnamon rolls.
(Source: My Photo Collection)
Back story: It started as a holiday tradition for my grandma, my oldest niece, and I to make homemade cinnamon rolls. As my other nieces came into the world and became old enough, they joined us.

On the night of my grandma's funeral, my three nieces and I made the rolls again, laughing as we became covered in sugar and flour. The younger two dared me to make a roll with my eyes closed. To be fair, I may have said that I have been doing this so long, I could do it with my eyes closed. I was successful. After we finished, we watched The Secret Garden, a movie I have watch a million times over with my grandma. The next morning, I baked the rolls and brought them to the brunch we were having before everyone left. It was a nice way to honor the woman who taught us how to bake, among so many other things she did for the family.


**If you would like to have your own Becoming Journey, you can pick up a copy of the journal at your favorite bookstore, or here on Amazon.**

Comments