I Know Who You Are by Alice Feeny

(Source: Kelsey Darling)
This book popped up on a list on Goodreads of summer thrillers. I picked up a couple on the list because I am still recovering from Gone With the Wind and NOS4A2 was just so-so, leaving me looking for something that will boost my interest in reading again. Sadly, I Know Who You Are was a step in the wrong direction.

Aimee Sinclair is an up and coming actress, just on the verge of her big break. What she gets instead is a stalker, a dead husband, and a police detective that does not buy a word she says. But Aimee cannot blame the detective; Aimee has been keeping secrets for a long time and if she starts telling the truth, she will have to admit she has killed before.

I have never read a book by Alice Feeny before, and I am not really one to read reviews of a book before starting, but I am wishing I had. The plot starts slow, but seems promising. The middle gets really good and then the ending is a “what the fuck did I read?!” You might think that sounds really aggressive, but when you get to the plot twist, it is extremely aggressive. The book was only released in April, so I do not want to give anything away, but this plot twist is something that is extremely taboo and frowned upon by even the most liberal of people.

"I shiver, despite the heat of the fire. I feel physically sick at what I'm seeing and hearing, and automatically back away when he walks towards me. It looks like him, but at the same time, it doesn't." (p. 272)

(Source: Giphy)
The characters are okay. Aimee is a pretty woman who is a good actress, but constantly believes she is nothing special and prefers playing other people over being herself. Aimee as a child is not the brightest bulb on the tree. She accepts the fact that she has been kidnapped and does not question the punishments she receives. While she is only kindergarten age, she should know that if someone loves you, they are not going to deep fry your gerbil because you didn’t clean its cage. Jack seems to flip flop between good guy and bad guy, but ultimately just seems like a stupid guy. The detective is an insult to anyone in the police force. If I heard “I know you aren’t telling me everything” one more time, I would have been guaranteed to lose it. If you’re going to have a detective keep reiterating that, you need to have a breakthrough moment.

Honestly, the book feels like a letdown. There is no character growth, no redeeming moment. The ending felt just as flat as the beginning, only now you have to deal with the yuck factor of the plot twist, and I still haven’t showered enough to get the feeling off of me. This one will be making it into my HPB sell pile immediately.

(Source: Giphy)
Rating: 2/10
Author: Alice Feeny
Genres: Mystery, Thriller
Dates Read: June 6-9, 2019

Comments