The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

Wow! I have finished The Chronicles of Narnia. I can't believe it. I definitely dragged it out, I think I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for the first time in 5th grade maybe, but even reading it through this time, I wasn't ready for it to be finished, because you can't read a book for the first time again. But, it's finally over.



Plot

In the most basic of terms, not too many Narnians are followers of Aslan anymore, and it quickly becomes a battle between the believers and non-believers. In our world, the Pevensie's along with Lord Digory and Polly find out that a battle is ensuing in Narnia and begin to find their way to Narnia by using the rings that Digory and Polly used in The Magicians Nephew. However, through a series of events in each world, everyone dies. Non-believers fade away to an unknown fate and believers follow Aslan to his land and are saved.



I know I usually go into more details in the plots, but really, so much happens and so many characters are involved that it's easier to just read the book than give a summary.

Overall Thoughts

This book is strangely moving and depressing all at the same time. I feel like Lewis might have just been extremely done with society and he let it all out in the book. I think that was really obvious when he said:

"Oh Susan!' said Jill. 'She's interested in nothing nowadays except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up." (p. 169)

I find that somewhat insulting, but I get the point that he is trying to make. The focus of society is on less important things, no matter which world they we're talking about. Even looking outside of the Christian perspective that Lewis refers to in his books, society isn't what it used to be, just like how Narnia isn't what it used to be.



I find it completely depressing that everyone dies in the end. It was like Lost all over again; getting attached to all these people and places only for it to all come to an end so tragically. I'd almost want to be Susan if it meant that I got to live.

I'm sad it's over, but not as sad as I have been for the ending of other novels, because like I said, I knew it was going to end. And there are definitely a few Narnia novels I would read again.

"And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after." (p. 228)




Rating: 10/10
Pages: 228 (paperback)
Novels in Series: 7
Genre(s): Fiction, Classics, Young Adult

Comments