Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus

Last year I picked up another book by Karen M. McManus, One of Us is Lying. The fact that it was sold as a murderous Breakfast Club had me sold. I ended up greatly enjoying the plot, the characters, and the twist at the end. When I saw that she was coming out with another book, I made sure I pre-ordered it the second it was available. The title, Two Can Keep a Secret, and the cover was reminiscent of Pretty Little Liars, and the plot seemed intriguing enough that I knew I had to be in for something good.

(Source: Kelsey Darling)
Ellery and Ezra have been relocated to their mother's hometown of Echo Ridge. It is the definition of small town America and nothing like the LA they know and love, but they had little choice in the matter since their mother is currently serving four months of court mandated rehabilitation. So now they live with their grandmother in a town where everyone seems to know their story, including the secrets their mother never told them. They know their mothers twin sister went missing just days after their senior homecoming, but no one know what happened to her. And they know that five years earlier, another homecoming queen was brutally murdered, but know one knows who did it. When a candidate for this years homecoming goes missing, Ellery begins to wonder how deeply the family secrets are intertwined with the secrets of Echo Ridge.

While I did not enjoy this one as much as One of Us is Lying (I really liked the spin on my favorite movie), it was still a really good read with an awesome ending (the book is still new so I am not going to spoil it, but man, it rocks!). I had a slightly hard time warming up to Ellery in the beginning, and I do not think I ever came to love her, but I did warm up to her. Although, as a person, I believe her and I are pretty similar, so she probably would not love me either. I will say, both of us have an insane amount of knowledge on murderers, cold cases, and the likes, and I have definitely gotten the "no one wants to hear your theory" look from people. Malcolm was okay as a character, and I definitely warmed up to him more as his relationship with Ellery shows new bits of him. I do feel the drama between him and his brother was slightly exaggerated, at least until Malcolm accuses him of murder, but before that it felt like it was forced drama.

Honestly, I have read enough of books, both fiction and non-fiction, to never want to live in a small town unless I want to be murdered, or pegged for murder. Ellery should have known that something sinister would happen when moving to a town that's population only changes when someone goes missing or ends up murdered.

"Three dolls hang from the top of a mausoleum, nooses around their necks. They're all wearing crowns and long, glittering dresses drenched in red paint. And just like at the cultural center, red letters drip like blood across the white stone beneath them:

I'M BACK
PICK YOUR QUEEN, ECHO RIDGE
HAPPY HOMECOMING"
(p. 51)

(Source: Giphy)
In Two Can Keep a Secret, there is less guessing on who the killer could be, at least in my opinion. For me, once other people were ruled out, it became pretty obvious who it was. Very few people were around for both murders. I was a bit uncertain though if it would end up being related to the disappearance of the twins aunt so many years earlier. I knew that I would get an answer if it was or not, but McManus makes you wait until the actual end of the book for that answer, and it is so worth the wait.

Overall, the book was enjoyable and kept me guessing most of the time. McManus may tie everything up in a neat little bow by the end, but she is going to keep you guessing up until then too.

Rating: 8/10
Author: Karen M. McManus
Genres: Mystery, Thriller, Young Adult
Dates Read: March 16-20, 2019

Comments